- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 200 g basmati rice, rinsed
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3-4 clove garlic, sliced
- 4-5cm fresh ginger, chopped
- 4 long thin chillies, (fresh or frozen), halved lengthways
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 4 plump vine tomatoes, chopped, or 400g canned, chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml yogurt
- coriander leaves, to garnish (optional)
Tips and Suggestions
Add left-over roast turkey into the curry with the eggs if desired.
1. Bring a small pan of salted water to the boil and add in the basmati rice; stir, then cover and simmer until rice is done, about 10 minutes.
2. Place the eggs in another small pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain, run under cold water until cooled, then peel and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wok or a large frying pan until quite hot. Add in the mustard seeds. When they start to pop, lower the heat slightly, add onion and fry until soft and golden.
4. Add garlic, ginger, chillies, turmeric, cumin, coconut, salt and pepper. Fry for a couple of minutes until fragrant, then add in the tomatoes and peeled whole eggs.
5. Stir gently until heated through, then remove from the heat.
6. Stir yoghurt through the mixture until evenly combined. Cover and leave to stand for 2 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with coriander leaves if using, and serve with rice.
Rate This Recipe