- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cm piece ginger, grated
- 4 large red chillies, seeds removed and chopped
- 4 chinese dried mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes, stems removed and chopped
- 350 g pork belly, without bone, chopped into 2cm pieces
- 1 large aubergine
- 500 ml boiling water
- 3 tbsp chilli bean sauce, available from Chinese supermarkets
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 large spring onions, sliced lengthways
1. Heat the groundnut oil in a wok over a high heat and fry the garlic, ginger, and chillies for 1 minute, until the garlic begins to colour.
2. Add the chopped mushrooms, followed by the pork, and fry briskly for another 2 minutes.
Add the chopped aubergine and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
3. Pour in the boiling water, chilli bean sauce, and the dark and light soy sauces. Simmer, uncovered, until the meat is tender and the aubergines are soft - this should take around 20 minutes
4. Scatter the stew with spring onions and accompany with steamed rice.
Rate This Recipe