- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- pinches saffron
- 1 small dried bird's eye chilli
- 1 tsp harissa powder or ground cumin
- 1x 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- splashes white wine
- 1 kg cuttlefish, cleaned and cut into strips
- 1x 700g jar Italian passata
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- handfuls basil, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice only
- crusty bread, to serve
1. In a casserole dish, heat a little olive oil and gently fry the onion, garlic and celery.
2. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for a further minute. Add the saffron, dried chilli, harrisa or cumin and chickpeas, followed by the white wine.
3. Once the alcohol has evaporated, add the cuttlefish including tenticles. Fry for a further minute before adding the passata, parsley and half a cup of water.
4. Simmer gently for 45 minutes until the cuttlefish is really tender.
5. Mix together the vinegar and sugar, stir into the pan and cook for another 3 - 4 minutes.
6. Add the basil, season and finish with lemon juice. Serve with crusty bread.
Rate This Recipe