- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 bulb fennel, tough outer layers removed, quartered vertically
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 8 black olives, pitted
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- small bunch of thyme
- scant 600ml chicken stock, or half water, half white wine
- black pepper
1. Preheat the oven 180°C /gas 4.
2. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole over medium-low heat. Add the fennel quarters, cover and sweat gently for about 10 minutes, until beginning to soften.
3. Add the garlic, olives, cardamom and thyme. Pour in the stock, season with salt and pepper, and bring to the boil.
4. Cover with greaseproof paper and then with a lid. Bake in the preheated oven for 1-1 1/4 hours until tender.
Rate This Recipe