- Serves: 4-8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 500 g unsalted butter
- 6 white onions, cut thickly into half moons
- 1-2 kg topside of beef, cut into portion-sized steaks
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 5-6 tinned anchovies, chopped
- 2 dried chillies
- 1 very large handfuls flat leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2.
2. Rub the inside of a solid pan, and its lid, all over with butter and scatter in some of the onions. Season the beef with salt and pepper and lay some over the onions. Continue to layer the beef and the onions and then finally throw in the bay leaves.
3. Smear a sheet of greaseproof paper with butter, then lay it, butter-side down, over the top. Cover the pan and place on a high heat until it starts to sizzle. Transfer to the oven and cook 2-2½ hours until meat is very tender.
4. Just before the meat is cooked, place the rest of the ingredients into a food processor and blitz to make a paste. Take the meat out of the oven and stir the paste into the meat and juices. Replace the lid and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
5. Serve with mash, Jersey Royals or country bread to mop up the delicious juices.
Rate This Recipe