- Cook Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- 12 banana shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 preserved lemons, chopped
- 340 g Puy lentils
- 900 ml vegetable stock
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- wilted spinach leaves, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 1. Heat half of the olive oil in a large casserole dish and cook the lamb shanks for 6-7 minutes, until well browned on all sides. Remove from the casserole and keep warm.
2. Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the shallots for 5 minutes or so, until they are golden brown all over.
3. Add garlic and spices and cook for 4-5 minutes.
4. Stir in the lentils and pickled lemons.
5. Add the stock. Bring to simmering point and replace the lamb shanks in the casserole. Cover and cook for 3 hours.
6. Serve straight from the oven with wilted spinach.
Rate This Recipe