- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the chilli sauce
- 3-4 red chilli
- ½ cloves garlic, crushed
- 2½ tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
For the pork
- 1.75 kg pork belly, rinsed and cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp thick soy sauce
- ½ thin soy sauce
- 3 small red onions, sliced
- ½ cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cm piece galangal, roughly chopped
- 1 stalks lemongrass, See Cook's note
- 7 cm cinnamon sticks
- 1 whole star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 tbsp rock sugar or muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 large leaves lettuce, shredded
- ½ cucumber, cut into half and sliced thinly
- 3 pieces deep-fried bean curd, blanched and sliced thinly, (available in Asian supermarkets)
Tips and Suggestions
To get more flavour out of the lemongrass, bruise it with the flat of a knife and twist it into a knot.
1) For the chilli sauce: place the chillies, garlic, rice vinegar, sugar, lime juice and ½ a teaspoon of salt in a blender and blend to a smooth paste. Add a splash of water if necessary.
2) For the pork:mix the pork with 1.5 tablespoons of thick soy sauce and the thin soy sauces, cloves and a little black pepper and leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
3) Heat some oil in a frying pan, add the red onions, garlic, galangal, cinnamon, star anise and lemongrass. Fry for 2 minutes.
4) Add the meat, sugar, vinegar and 250 millilitres of water. Cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for 1 hour. If necessary, add extra water to ensure the bottom of the pan doesnt burn.
5) After an hour, take off the lid, add ½ a tablespoon of thick soy sauce. At this point the sauce should be very thick and glossy.
6) Let the meat cool slightly and then slice meat thickly.
7) Arrange in a dish and scatter with the lettuce, cucumber and bean curd. Drizzle with chilli sauce and serve.
Rate This Recipe