- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes - 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 white onions, thinly sliced
- 50 g butter
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 sprig rosemary
- 1 about 750g red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 90 g light soft brown sugar
- 50 ml balsamic vinegar
1. In a large saucepan, sweat the onions in the butter and olive oil. At this point season but do not allow to colour. Throw in the apples and rosemary and stir to break the apples down.
2. Now add the cabbage. This will almost certainly fill the whole pan but dont panic, after a few minutes of vigorous stirring the cabbage will start to shrink.
3. Cover the pan with a heavy lid to prevent the steam from escaping and reduce the heat to low. The cabbage will now cook for 45 minutes 1 hour to become tender. Dont let the cabbage stick and burn, so check occasionally and give it a stir, adding a splash of water if getting too dry.
4. When the cabbage is tender, turn the heat up to high and stir in the sugar. Let it caramelise for a few minutes, then add the vinegar and reduce for about 5 minutes or until it has all gone, stirring frequently. Taste for seasoning and serve.
Rate This Recipe