- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 750 g red cabbage
- 350 g bramley apples
- 50 g butter
- 250 g onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp brown sugar, unrefined
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
Tips and Suggestions
Braised cabbage tastes best made a day or two before serving. You can reheat it on the stovetop, which leaves plenty of room in the oven for the rest of your meal.
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 2. Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the hard woody stalk. Finely shred the cabbage and set aside.
2. Peel, core and finely chop the apples, and soften them in butter for about 5 minutes.
3. Peel and finely chop the onions and add them to the apples along with the garlic. Soften for a further 5 minutes before sprinkling in the spices and sugar.
4. Tip in the red cabbage, mix well, season and add the vinegar. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and bake for about 2 hours until really soft.
5. Serve hot with roast turkey or a joint of glazed ham.
Rate This Recipe