- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 200 g rashers of smoked streaky bacon
- 1 white cabbage, quartered, cored and finely shredded
- 1 onion, finely shredded
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 x 454g jar or tin of sauerkraut
- 3 large carrots, peeled and left whole
- 50 ml vodka
- 125 ml water
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 2.
2. Layer the bacon in the bottom of an ovenproof casserole dish. Top with the shredded cabbage and onion.
3. Sprinkle over the peppercorns and caraway seeds and add the bay leaves. Pour in the sauerkraut together with its liquid.
4. Lay the carrots on top of the sauerkraut and pour over the vodka and water.
5. On a hob, heat the sauerkraut mixture until it comes to the boil. Cover the casserole dish with a tightly fitting lid and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
6. Check the sauerkraut mixture and if still very liquid, remove the lid and bake for a further hour until the carrots are cooked through.
7. Once cooked, take out the carrots and slice into rounds and remove and discard the bacon.
8. Mix the sliced carrot into the sauerkraut mixture and season to taste with salt. Serve.
Rate This Recipe