- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 slab smoked bacon, about 750g
- 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- 1 tbsp grain mustard
- 1 jar sauerkraut
- bunch watercress
1. Place the bacon, carrots, onions and bouquet garni in a large pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then skim and simmer gently for 2 hours, until the bacon is soft and tender.
2. Gently remove the bacon from the liquid and cut and trim it into 4 nice pieces. Take a ladle of the liquid and place in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and reduce by half. Stir in the crème fraîche and mustard.
3. Meanwhile, warm the sauerkraut in another small saucepan. Place a mound of it in the centre of each warmed serving bowl and add a piece of carrot and a piece of onion to each. Sit the bacon on top of the sauerkraut.
4. Pour the mustard sauce over the bacon, garnish with watercress and serve.
Rate This Recipe