- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 4 hours 10 minutes including smoking
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 venison shanks
- 8 tomatoes
- 1 bottle robust red wine, uch as Pelee Island Cabernet/Merlot
- 500 ml reduced veal stock, (demi-glace)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp allspice berries
- 2 fresh bay leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 2.
2. Arrange a thick layer (about 750g) of fruit wood chips, such as apple or cherry, in the bottom of a roasting pan. Put a rack on top and place the venison shanks on the rack.
3. Transfer the oven for 40 minutes to lightly smoke, or cover with kitchen foil and smoke on the hob over low heat.
4. Meanwhile, peel the tomatoes by cutting a shallow cross at the top and dropping them into a bowl of boiling water for a moment. Refresh under cold water and peel away the skins.
5. Take the roasting pan out of the oven and put the venison and rack to one side. Tip out the wood chips and wipe out the pan. Pour in the red wine and veal stock, and add the tomatoes, cinnamon, allspice and bay leaves.
6. Replace the venison on its rack. Cover with a tent of kitchen foil and return to the oven. Braise for about 3¼-3½ hours until the venison is fork tender.
7. Serve with the sauce.
Rate This Recipe