- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the fruit
- 150 g golden caster sugar
- 2 kg Bramley apples
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 1-2 sprigs lemon thyme, leaves only
For the crumble
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 250 g plain flour
- 50 g semolina
- 100 g blanched flaked almonds
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest only
- 1 orange, finely grated zest only
- 125 g caster sugar
- 100 g pine kernels
- 1 pinches salt
1. For the fruit: put the golden caster sugar and 50ml water in a large saucepan and cook over a low heat until it's a chestnut caramel colour.
2. Meanwhile, peel, core and cut the apples into 4cm dice. Add to the caramel and stir over a high heat for 5 minutes. Transfer to a heatproof dish, season with black pepper and a pinch of thyme leaves. Stir, then set aside to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4 and line a baking tray with baking paper.
4. For the crumble: in a mixing bowl, rub the butter and flour together (you can do this in a food processor if you prefer). Stir in the semolina, almonds, lemon and orange zests and sugar. Fold in the pine kernels and salt. Spread the mixture on the lined tray and bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking. Set aside to cool.
5. Shortly before serving, reheat the apple mixture in a saucepan or microwave. Spoon into serving bowls, top with the crumble and serve, accompanied by custard if you like.
Rate This Recipe