- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 750 g plain flour, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 500 g caster sugar, plus extra for glazing
- 250 g butter, iced
- 2 eggs, one beaten for glazing
- 10 Bramley apples, peeled and sliced
- 25 g granulated sugar
- 100 g sultanas
- 100 g blanched flaked almonds
- splash of water
- cream, to serve
1. In a mixing bowl, rub together the flour, salt, caster sugar and diced butter until thoroughly mixed. Mix in the beaten egg and bring together. Cover the pastry and set aside to rest.
2. Meanwhile, place the sliced apple and granulated sugar in a pan and cook over medium heat until the apple juices are released.
3. Add the sultanas and flaked almonds and cook, stirring now and then, over medium heat for 5 minutes until the apple is softened. Allow to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/gas 7.
5. On a floured surface roll out the pastry finely. Line a pie dish with the pastry, reserving enough for the lid. Place the cooked apple in the centre of the lined pie dish.
6. Top the apple mixture with a pastry lid, trimming off any excess pastry and sealing the edges tightly together. Cut 3 slits in the centre of the pie, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle lightly with caster sugar.
7. Bake the apple pie for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm from the oven with cream.
Rate This Recipe