- Serves: makes 30-40
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 225 ml canola or vegetable oil, plus extra for hands
- 500 g sweet manioc starch, see cooks tip
- 500 g sour manioc starch, see cooks tip
- 8 medium eggs
- 150 g parmigiano reggiano, grated
- 300 g strong cheddar cheese, grated
Tips and Suggestions
Manioc starch can be found in major supermarkets or in Portuguese and Brazilian food/deli shops
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Prepare two baking sheets with silicone liners or line with parchment paper.
2. Place 400ml water, the oil and 1½ tablespoons salt in a pan together and heat over high heat until it starts to boil then remove from the heat.
3. In large mixing bowl, stir in the two manioc starches; the mixture will be very dry. Slowly add the hot water and oil mix and let it cool for a few minutes until you can mix it with your hands.
4. Add the eggs, and mix well with your hands until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Add all the grated cheese, and mix well, with your hands, to form a very soft dough.
5. Roll the dough into balls about the size of walnuts, using oil on your hands so that the dough won't stick to them, and place on sheet pans approximately 2cm apart. Bake for 25 minutes until puffed and golden.
6. After 25 minutes, if the balls are still very moist inside, turn oven down to 150C/130C fan/gas 3 and bake 10 more minutes. When cooked, serve immediately.
Recipe from Rosana McPhee at Hot and Chilli.
Rate This Recipe