- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut in half
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- ï¿½ nutmeg, freshly grated
- 600 ml full-fat milk
- 10 black peppercorns
- 100 g white breadcrumbs, from a 2 day old loaf, crusts removed
- 25 g butter
- 6 tbsp double cream
1. Press the cloves into the 2 onion halves and place in a saucepan with the bay leaves, pinch of salt, nutmeg and milk. Bring to the boil and then remove from the heat, cover with a lid and leave in a warm place for the milk to infuse for about 1 hour.
2. Return the pan to the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook on a low heat for about 20 minutes until creamy and thickened.
3. Just before serving, remove the onion, bay leaves and peppercorns. Stir in the butter and double cream to give a wonderful rich creamy sauce.
Rate This Recipe