- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 small onion, studded with three cloves
- 500 ml milk
- 90-125 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 pinches ground mace, or grated nutmeg
- ground white pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 50 g butter, or 2 tbsp double cream
1. Put the onion and milk in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and slowly bring to just below boiling point - the longer the milk takes to come to boiling point, the better.
2. Remove the onion and whisk in enough breadcrumbs to make the sauce thick, with all the milk absorbed. Keep the bowl over the boiling water until the sauce is heated through. If it looks too thin, add more breadcrumbs. Season with mace or nutmeg, salt and the peppers.
3. Finally, stir in the butter or cream and pour into a serving bowl. Sprinkle a small amount of cayenne pepper or crushed black peppercorns on top and serve.
Rate This Recipe