- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1.2 litres milk
- good pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves
- 75-100g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp cream, (optional)
1. Put the onion in a saucepan with the milk. Add the nutmeg, bay leaf, pepper, cloves and enough fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs to not quite absorb the milk at first.
2. Bring very slowly to simmering point, then stir and simmer for 45 minutes adding more nutmeg and milk if needed.
3. If you like, add the cream at the end.
4. Remove the bay leaf and the cloves if you can find them.
5. Season to taste and serve hot.
Rate This Recipe