- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 ripe fresh breadfruit
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp thyme, leaves
- 1 tsp chopped marjoram
- 1 sticks celery, diced
- green peppers, deseeded and diced
- 2 handfuls grated cheddar cheese
1. Cut the breadfruit into wedges and boil in salted water for until tender about 15 minutes. Drain.
2. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
3. Cut the breadfruit flesh away from the skin, taking care not to damage the skins. Cut out and discard the cores. Mash the flesh, leaving some texture. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat the butter in a pan and gently fry the shallot, herbs, celery and pepper until softened. Remove from the heat and stir into the mashed breadfruit.
5. Lay the breadfruit skins on a lightly greased baking tray. Pack the mashed breadfruit back on to the skins, doming it into a wedge shape. Sprinkle generously with grated cheese.
6. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the breadfruit is warmed through and the cheese has melted. Serve hot.
Rate This Recipe