- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the hot red sauce:
- 200 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 jalapeño chillies
- 1 tbsp juice from the jar of pickled jalapeño chillies
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- black pepper
- small pinch of sugar
For the quesadilla
- 1 flour tortilla
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp refried beans
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 egg, to serve
1. Place all the ingredients for the sauce together in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer very gently for 10 minutes, while you cook the quesadilla.
2. Brush one tablespoon of olive oil lightly over one side of the tortilla.
3. Place the tortilla, oil-side-down into a cold frying pan. Spread the beans on one half of the tortilla and cream cheese over the other half.
4. Scatter over the chopped spring onion and fold the tortilla over.
5. Place the frying pan over a moderate heat and cook for about 2 minutes, until the tortilla is golden brown. Carefully flip the tortilla over and cook the other side.
6. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Add the remaining olive oil and fry the egg until cooked to your liking.
7. Serve the quesadilla immediately, with the red-hot sauce and fried egg.
Rate This Recipe