- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 2 - 3 hrs resting time
- Effort: easy
For the lamb
- 100 ml organic rapeseed oil
- 2 onions, very finely diced
- 2 carrots, very finely diced
- half head of celery, very finely diced
- 2 leeks, very finely diced
- 1 head of garlic, smashed
- ½ bottledry white wine
- 1 breast of lamb, trimmed of all skin
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp hot English mustard powder
- plain flour, for coating
- 200 g freshwhite breadcrumbs, seasoned
- vegetable oil, for frying
For the anchovy and caper relish
- 75 g anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-fine capers, plus a little of their vinegar
- 150 ml organic rapeseed oil
- 1 banana shallot, very finely chopped
- ½- ¾ tsp English mustard powder
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 bunch each parsley, basil, mint, (finely shredded)
1. For the lamb: heat the rapeseed oil in a large, heavy-based pan.
2. Add the diced vegetables and garlic. Brown over a medium to high heat. Pour in the wine and stir well.
3. Put the lamb on top of the vegetables and add enough cold water to cover the meat. Bring to a simmer, cover the casserole and transfer to the oven. Braise for 2 hours until meat is tender.
4. Remove breast from liquid and take out bones while still warm. Put the meat between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper, put heavy weights on top to flatten it and leave for 2-3 hours.
5. After pressing the meat, cut it into long strips about 12cm long and 1.5cm wide.
6. Heat a deep fat fryer to 160C.
7. Mix the beaten egg with the mustard and a splash of water. Coat the meat in flour, dip in the egg mixture then coat with the breadcrumbs.
8. Fry the lamb in batches for 2-3mins until crisp and golden then drain on some kitchen paper.
For the caper and anchovy relish: blend together the anchovies, extra-fine capers, vinegar, rapeseed oil, shallot, very finely chopped, mustard powder and lemon juice until smooth. Add the herbs and pulse a few times to incorporate them. Check for seasoning.
9. Serve the lamb with the relish as a dip.
Rate This Recipe