- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 loaf brioche
- 85 g unsalted butter
- 85 g caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 600 ml milk
- 300 ml double cream
- 2 vanilla pods, split (or 3 drops of vanilla essence)
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- vanilla ice cream, or cream, to serve
1. Set the oven to 150°C/gas 1 and preheat a grill. Slice the brioche as you would bread, then gently grill on both sides, keeping a close eye on them as you do, as they grill quickly and it's pretty depressing to burn the whole lot. Place the toasted slices on a chopping board.
2. Gently melt the butter in a small pan; lightly brush the sides and base of a medium-sized ovenproof dish with the melted butter. Lay the brioche slices in layers in the tray, overlapping the slices.
3. In a heatproof bowl, add the caster sugar to the egg yolks. Gently heat the milk and cream together in a saucepan until hot but not simmering. Slowly pour half the milk and cream mixture over the egg yolks while whisking, and then add the whisked egg yolks, milk and cream back to the saucepan together with the remaining cream and milk.
4. Place the saucepan back on the heat, add the split vanilla pods or essence, and stir until the mixture reaches simmering point. Strain over the brioche.
5. Sprinkle with Demerara sugar and cook in the oven for 30 minutes. Once cooked, this dish can be served immediately or can easily be reheated in the oven or microwave. Serve with cream or vanilla ice-cream.
Rate This Recipe