- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the brisket
- 1-2 kg brined beef brisket, (uncooked salt beef)
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 sticks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 2-4 cloves
- 5 black peppercorns
- ½ tsp ground mace
- 1 toulouse sausages
For the mustard crust
- 2-3 handfuls Japanese panko crumbs
- 1-2 tbsp chopped tarragon
- 1-2 tbsp chopped chervil
- 1-2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp Dijon mustard
- butter, for greasing
- 4-6 crusty small French stick
- pickled walnuts
1. For the brisket: put all the ingredients into a large saucepan and add cold water until the brisket is just covered. Bring gently to the boil and simmer for 3-4 hours until the beef is cooked through and very tender. To test it, stick a fork in the meat: the joint should slip off the fork easily.
2. Remove the beef from the water and cool slightly, reserving the cooking water for later use.
3. For the mustard crust: mix together the breadcrumbs and herbs and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
5. Once the beef has cooled a little, cut it into pieces
about 6cm x 15cm keeping the fat on the meat. Spread a layer of dijon mustard over the top of each piece then cover the top with the breadcrumb mix.
6. Pour about 2.5cm of the reserved cooking water into an ovenproof dish and add the crusted beef. Cover the meat with buttered baking paper or a butter wrapper and bake for 15 minutes, until the crust is crisp and the meat is hot.
7. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before gently cutting the beef into smaller pieces. Cut the braised toulouse sausage into chunks.
8. To serve, arrange the beef and sausage on a platter with the bread, sauerkraut, pickled walnuts and cornichons.
Rate This Recipe