- Serves: 4 as a main course or 6 as a starter
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 onion, chopped
- 90 g butter
- 300 g bacon, diced
- 350 g arborio risotto rice
- 750 ml white wine
- 750 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 200 g fresh broad beans
- 100 g parmesan, grated, plus extra for serving
- black pepper
1. Heat 50g of the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion and cook gently until softened, around 5 minutes.
2. Add the remaining butter and the bacon. Fry until the bacon and onion are lightly browned.
3. Meanwhile, bring the stock to a gentle boil in a separate saucepan.
4. Mix in the rice, coating thoroughly. Add a ladleful of the hot stock and a ladleful of the wine.
5. Cook the rice, stirring often, until the stock and wine are absorbed. Repeat the process until the rice is tender but retains a little bite and most of the wine and stock has been added.
6. Mix in the broad beans and the remaining wine and stock. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
7. Remove the risotto from direct heat and stir in the grated Parmesan. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, bearing in mind the saltiness of the bacon and Parmesan.
8. Serve at once with grated Parmesan.
Rate This Recipe