- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 6 circular spring roll wrappers
- 1 bunch of spring onions, thinly chopped
- 1 bunch of coriander, thinly chopped
- 115 g fresh-cooked crab meat
- 1 tbsp fish sauce, (thai fish sauce)
- 3cm piece of ginger, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- juice of 1 limes
- 1 tbsp clear honey
For the chilli jam:
- 100 ml mirin, (Japanese rice vinegar)
- 200 g sugar
- 4 red chillies, chopped
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
For the Japanese salad:
- 1/2 daikon or mooli (white radish)
- 1/2 cucumber, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- handful of mangetout
- coriander leaves
- mint leaves
For the dressing:
- mirin, (Japanese rice vinegar)
- sesame oil
1. First make the chilli jam. In a saucepan, bring the sugar and rice wine vinegar to the boil. Cook briskly until the mixture caramelises, turning a dark golden colour.
2. Add in the chilli, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove, allow to cool, then stir in a squeeze of lime juice.
3. To make the filling, mix together the spring onion, coriander, crab meat, chilli, ginger, garlic, nam pla, sugar, soy sauce, lime juice and honey in a large bowl.
4. To make the salad, mix together the daikon, cucumber, carrot, mangetout, coriander and mint leaves. Toss with the rice wine vinegar and sesame oil.
5. Spoon a portion of the crab mixture onto each spring roll wrapper and roll up the wrapping over the filling.
6. Serve the crab spring rolls with the Japanese salad and the chilli jam.
Rate This Recipe