- Serves: 2-3
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 10 brussels sprouts
- 200 g roast or boiled potatoes, mashed
- 6 rashers smoked pancetta, chopped into chunks
- large handful roughly chopped black pudding
- plain flour, for dusting
- olive oil, for frying
- butter, for frying
- 1 egg
1. Mix the potatoes and the sprouts together in a bowl so that the potatoes are mashed and the sprouts a bit broken up.
2. Add the pancetta and black pudding pieces and mix. Season with a little salt and lots of pepper.
3. Flour a work surface then divide and shape the mixture into little potato cakes, or one big cake, making sure the outside is coated in flour.
4. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and cook the cakes until golden and crispy on each side. Once golden, press the cake down a little so that the sides spill out slightly. Add a dash more oil and 2-3 knobs of butter. Allow the butter to foam around the cake and spoon some over the cake to create ever crispier outside. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
5. Add a little more oil and butter to the pan, then fry the egg, basting continuously with the melted butter mixture until the white is cooked and the yolk is still runny.
6. Once cooked, immediately place the egg on top of the bubble and squeak cake, season well and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe