- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40mins if using leftover cooked vegetables
- Prep Time: 20 minutes 5mins if using leftover cooked vegetables
- Effort: easy
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into chunks and boiled or roasted (or leftover roast potatoes)
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into chunks and boiled or roasted (or leftover roast sweet potatoes)
- 250 g green cabbage, shredded and steamed or boiled (or leftover cooked cabbage)
- 125 g peas, steamed or boiled (or leftover cooked peas)
- 250 g carrots, roughly chopped and steamed or boiled (or leftover cooked carrots)
- 2 tbsp brown sauce
- a drizzle of olive oil
- knob of butter
- cold cooked meats and salad
1. Tip all the vegetables into a food processor, add the brown sauce, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and blend for 10-20 seconds, or until everything is combined but still retains some texture.
2. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large frying pan over a low-medium heat, then spread the vegetable mixture across the base of the pan to form a large flat cake. Cook gently for 20-30 minutes, without stirring, until crisp and golden brown underneath.
3. Hold a large plate over the top of the pan and quickly turn the pan upside down so the bubble and squeak falls onto the plate. Slide the bubble and squeak back into the pan, cooked-side up, and cook for 10 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown on both sides.
4. To serve, cut the bubble and squeak into slices and serve with cold cooked meats and salad.
Rate This Recipe