- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2.25 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the tomatoes
- 8 tomatoes
- 300 g rock salt
For the bubble and squeak
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 200 g cooked sprouts
- 200 g cooked chopped cabbage
- 450 g mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp flour, for dusting
- 30 g butter
For the dressing
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 300 ml olive oil
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- 1½ lemons, juice only
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 12 asparagus
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/gas1. Halve the tomatoes.
2. Scatter the rock salt over the base of a roasting tin and place the tomatoes on top.
3. Cook for 2 hours, until dried out.
4. To make the bubble and squeak, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for about 4-5 minutes, until lightly coloured.
5. Combine the onion, sprouts and cabbage with the potatoes and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Mould the mixture into squares measuring about 7cm x 5cm. Dust with flour.
7. Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the squares until crisp over a moderate heat.
8. For the dressing, place the egg yolks in a blender with the sugar and mustard. Season well, and blend to combine.
9. Gradually drizzle in the oil while the motor is still running.
10. Keep the motor running and pour in the vinegar.
11. Add the lemon juice and sprinkle in the oregano.
12. To serve, place 4 tomatoes onto each of 4 serving plates and sit the bubble and squeak on top.
13. Top with 3 spears of asparagus, spoon over the dressing and eat at once.
Rate This Recipe