- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 500 g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 125 g green cabbage, shredded
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp mixed herbs, (parsley, dill or coriander)
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- seasoned flour, for dusting
- olive oil, for shallow frying
- 6 slices rashers of streaky bacon
- 2 large eggs
- a dash of white wine vinegar
1. Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water for about 15 minutes, until just tender. Drain well and mash in the pan.
2. Blanch the cabbage in a little boiling water for 2 minutes, then drain and rinse under cold running water and pat dry with paper towel.
3. In a frying pan, lightly fry the shallot and garlic for 3 minutes until softened.
4. Add the shallot and garlic to the mashed potato with the cabbage, chopped herbs and seasoning. Set aside to cool.
5. Shape the mixture into 4 cakes. Toss in the seasoned flour to coat, shaking off any excess.
6. Heat some olive oil to a depth of 1cm in a large frying pan. Fry the cakes for about 3 minutes on each side. Remove and dry with paper towel.
7. While the bubble and squeak cakes are cooking, grill the bacon, and poach the eggs in a large pan of boiling salted water that has had a little white wine vinegar added. Poach the eggs by whisking the water and cracking the eggs into the centre of the spinning water, one at a time.
8. To serve, place the bubble and squeak on the plate with the poached eggs on top and the bacon on the side.
Rate This Recipe