- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 10 minutes resting
- Effort: easy
For the dumplings
- 500 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 260 ml warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For the Buddhas Delight
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger, julienned
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250 g mixed Asian mushrooms, such as enoki, shiitake and oyster
- 100 g baby sweetcorn, halved
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 130 ml water
- 1/4 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp fish sauce
1. For the dumplings: combine the flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Slowly pour in the warm water, stirring it into the flour with your fingers until the mixture comes together to form a dough (you may not need all of the water).
2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and firmly knead the dough for 6-7 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Cover with cling film and set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
3. Place a colander into a large mixing bowl in the sink and fill with water. Place the rested dough into the colander and gently massage until the water becomes cloudy. Discard the water and repeat the process until the dough is a quarter of its original size, is stringy and slightly lumpy.
4. Squeeze the dough to remove any excess liquid, then pat dry with a clean tea towel. Roll the dough into a log about 4-5cm in diameter and slice into 5mm-thick dumplings.
5. Pour the vegetable oil into a medium saucepan until it is one-third full. Heat over medium-high heat until hot (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended). Deep-fry the dumplings, in small batches, for 3-4 minutes or until a light golden-brown colour. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
6. For the Buddhas Delight: return the oil used to cook the dumplings to the heat and fry half the ginger for 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
7. Heat a wok over high heat until smoking. Add the vegetable oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the wok. Fry the garlic and remaining ginger for one minute, then add the mushrooms, baby corn, oyster sauce, fried dumplings and half the water. Place the lid on and allow to braise for 3-4 minutes.
8. Remove the lid and add the sugar, fish sauce and the remaining water. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes, or until the dumplings have expanded and absorbed most of the liquid.
9. To serve, spoon the Buddhas Delight into bowls and top with fried ginger.
Rate This Recipe