- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 500 g buffalo meat, minced
- 75 g dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, thinly chopped
- 200 g blue cheese, such as Ciel de Charlevoix, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- cranberry chutney
- 4 eight-grain and nut crusty bread rolls, halved and toasted
Tips and Suggestions
You'll find buffalo meat in good supermarkets. Ask the butcher to mince it for you. It can also be bought from specialist mail order companies.
Good quality rolls can be used instead of grain and nut rolls.
1. Combine the buffalo, cranberries, onions and garlic, mixing thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper and mix again.
2. Divide the mixture into four and shape into balls with your hands. Press flat to form a burger.
3. Mould the blue cheese into four evenly sized balls. Place one in the middle of each burger, then wrap the meat around the cheese.
4. Heat a large heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and butter, and when it is sizzling, slide in the burgers and cook on each side until brown.
5. Cook for another 8-10 minutes in a hot oven preheated to 220°C/gas 7, or on the barbecue. The cheese should be melted and runny.
6. Serve on the toasted rolls with a dollop of cranberry chutney.
Rate This Recipe