- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 2.0833333333333335 hours 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 red onions, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 6 large red chillies, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks lemongrass, white part only, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp light-flavoured oil
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 kg buffalo steaks, or beef, diced
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste, or lime juice
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- rice and steamed greens, to serve
1. Combine the onions, garlic, ginger, chillies and lemongrass in a food processor and pulse to a paste.
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the paste plus the cumin, coriander and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
3. Add the buffalo steak and cook for 2 minutes, or until seared.
4. Pour in the coconut milk and 400ml water, then add the cinnamon, tamarind paste, sugar and 2 teaspoons of salt. Simmer uncovered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve the beef rendang with rice and steamed greens.
Rate This Recipe