- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg buffalo meat, shin, bone removed, meat chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 16 baby silverskin onions, trimmed
- 4 sticks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250 ml red wine
- 750 ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 bay leaves
- few thyme, sprigs
- small handful of parsley, to garnish
- mashed potato, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
If the sauce looks a bit thin, remove the lid towards the end and continue to simmer until it thickens.
1. Heat two tablespoons of the olive oil in an casserole dish (ovenproof, if you prefer to cook using the oven later on) and sear the buffalo chunks for 3-4 minutes, or until browned all over. Transfer the meat to a plate.
2. Heat the remaining olive oil in the casserole and fry the onions, celery and carrots for 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown. Stir in the garlic cloves and fry for a further minute, then pour in the wine and bring to the boil. Cook for one minute.
3. Add the buffalo meat back into the casserole and add the beef stock, tomato puree and herbs. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and bring back to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook on the hob for 2-3 hours (alternatively, transfer to an oven set to 160C/140C fan/gas 3), until the meat is tender and falling apart.
4. Sprinkle the casserole with parsley and serve with mash on the side.
Rate This Recipe