- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 10 minutes resting
- Effort: easy
- 1.2 kg buffalo fillet, taken from the thick end of the fillet, fat and sinew removed
For the green tomatoes
- 400 g green tomatoes, cores removed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped oregano, leaves
- pinch crushed dried chillies
- 3 tbsp spicy mustard, such as Savora
- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- 25-40 g demerara sugar, to taste
- mashed sweet potatoes
- watercress, or rocket to serve
Tips and Suggestions
If you can't get buffalo fillet, use beef instead.
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
2. Season the buffalo fillet with with sea salt and pepper. Heat a large non-stick frying pan with a little olive oil. When it is very hot, put in the fillet and sear for 1½-2 minutes on each side until evenly browned all over. Remove from the heat and transfer to a roasting tin. Cook in the oven for about 20-25 minutes for rare to medium-rare buffalo.
3. For the green tomatoes: meanwhile, slice the tomatoes 5mm thick. Gently heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, tip in the garlic and warm through. Lay the tomatoes in the pan, season with sea salt and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes. Lightly stir the remaining ingredients into the pan, adding enough of the sugar to taste, then simmer for a further 15-20 minutes or until the tomatoes have softened but still hold their shape. They should taste sweet but slightly sour.
4. Remove the fillet from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes before slicing thickly and serving with the green tomatoes, a sweet potato mash and a garnish of watercress or rocket.
Rate This Recipe