- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes plus 5-6 hrs chilling
- Effort: easy
- 1 litres plus 2 tbsp water
- 3 peaches
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tbsp brandy
- oil, for deep frying
For the ice cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 150 g caster sugar
- 100 ml milk
- 400 ml double cream
- vanilla pods, split in half
For the bugnes
- 250 g plain flour
- 50 g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1.5 tbsp rum
1. Bring 1 litre water to the boil in a medium pan. Place the peaches in the water and boil for 10 seconds; remove and place the peaches in iced water. Peel the peaches, remove the stones and chop coarsely.
2. Boil the remaining water and sugar together for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the peaches with the brandy. Allow to cool.
3. To make the ice cream: whisk the egg yolks with the caster sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Heat the milk and cream with the vanilla pod in a pan to just below boiling point. Gradually pour over the egg yolk and sugar mixture, stirring constantly. Pour back into the pan and heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, but do not allow to boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
5. Remove the vanilla pod and stir in the peach mixture, then place in an ice cream machine and churn for 45 minutes.
6. To make the bugnes: blitz all the ingredients together in a food processor to form a soft dough and allow to rest for 5-6 hours in a cool place.
7. Roll out the dough to a thickness of 5mm. Cut the dough into strips 10cm long by 4cm wide.
8. Make a 5cm long slit in the middle of each strip and thread the dough through the slit to make a knot.
9. Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer and when hot add the dough knots, turning once and cook until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
10. To serve: sprinkle the bugnes with icing sugar and serve over the peach ice cream.
Rate This Recipe