- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g bulgur wheat
- 450 ml chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
- 90 g unsalted butter
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 4-6 hard-boiled eggs
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp madeira, or sherry
- small bunch of flat leaf parsley, freshly chopped
- chilled soured cream, to serve
1. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Bring the stock or water to the boil in a large saucepan. Heat a frying pan over a moderate heat and cook the bulgar wheat without adding any fat, until lightly toasted.
2. Put the wheat into an ovenproof dish with a lid. Pour in the stock or water and top with 30g of butter. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Cover with the lid and place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
4. Heat a tablespoon of the remaining butter together with 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onion over a low heat until softened but not browned. Transfer to a serving dish and keep warm.
5. Chop the hard-boiled eggs and transfer to a separate serving dish.
6. Wipe out the frying pan with a little kitchen paper and heat another tablespoon of butter with the remaining olive oil. Cook the mushrooms until soft. Add the Madeira or sherry, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and transfer to a third serving dish.
7. Once the side dishes are ready, sprinkle a little parsley on each one.
8. Remove the bulgar wheat from the oven and season. Add the remaining butter and fork through. Serve the bulgar wheat together with the side dishes and some chilled sour cream.
Rate This Recipe