- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- olive oil, for shallow-frying
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 sprig thyme, leaves picked
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 kg beef or plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 850 ml fresh fish stock
- black pepper
- 6 monkfish steaks on the bone
- 12 squid rings
- 12 raw king prawns
- 6 small bass or bream, fillet
- 12 live mussels
- 1 baguette, sliced into rounds at an angle
- 125 g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1. Heat the olive oil in large heavy-based saucepan or casserole dish. Add the carrot, onion, thyme and garlic and fry gently over a low heat for 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and the fish stock. Season with salt, freshly ground pepper and a little sugar.
3. Cover the tomato mixture with a cartouche (a lid made from baking paper) and simmer very gently for 2 hours, stirring now and then.
4. Add the monkfish, squid, king prawns, bass and mussels and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the fish and seafood is cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, preheat the grill. Grill the baguette slices until golden brown on both sides. Meanwhile, mix the butter with the garlic and parsley. Spread the baguette slices with the garlic butter.
6. Serve the fish stew with the garlic bread.
Rate This Recipe