- Serves: makes 450g puff pastry
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 25 mins resting time
- Effort: medium
- 225 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- cold water, to mix
- 225 g unsalted butter
1. Sift the flour and salt together into a mixing bowl.
2. Make a hollow in the middle of the flour. Pour the lemon juice into the hollow and mix into the flour. Add enough cold water to form a pastry ball.
3. Place the pastry on a floured surface and knead gently for 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and not sticky.
4. Roll out the pastry until it forms a square large enough to wrap around the butter.
5. Place the butter (straight from the fridge) in the middle of the pastry. Fold the pastry over the butter.
6. Using a rolling pin, flatten the pastry-wrapped butter slightly. Roll it out gently and evenly into a long strip, making sure the butter remains contained within the pastry.
7. Fold a third of the pastry strip towards the middle, then top with the remaining pastry flap, making a triple-layered piece of pastry.
8. Gently press this down without sealing the edges. Set aside to rest in a cool place for 15 minutes.
9. Place the pastry on a floured surface so that the unsealed edge is towards you. Repeat the rolling and folding process four more times.
10. Set aside to rest in a cool place for 10 minutes. Place the pastry on a floured surface so that the unsealed edge is towards you. Repeat the rolling and folding process three more times.
Rate This Recipe