- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 85 g butter
- 3 red onions, peeled and cut into thick wedges
- 900 g apples
- 110 g brown sugar
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemons
- 1 fresh bay leaf
1. Heat the olive oil and butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Add in the onions, cover and cook gently until soft and golden brown, around 10 minutes.
2. Add the apples, sugar, lemon juice and zest and bay leaf.
3. Gently stir the ingredients to combine and cover with a lid. Cook the apples gently, over a low heat for 15-20 minutes or until just soft but still holding their shape.
4. Remove the lid and turn the heat to high. Allow the apples and onions to cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for a further 5-6 minutes or until most of the excess liquid has evaporated.
Rate This Recipe