- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus at least 1 hr marinating time
- Effort: easy
- 1 x 1.8 kg butterflied leg of lamb
For the marinade
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1 large bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the salad
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 350 ml water
- 1 x 410 g cantinned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 410 g can flageolet beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 410 g cantinned butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 800 g ripe tomatoes, seeds removed and cut into 1cm dice
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 bunches parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 large bunch dill, chopped
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Tips and Suggestions
Instead of using 350ml water and 2 teaspoons bouillon stock powder, try using chicken stock for a full flavour.
1. For the marinade, gently toast the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan until aromatic. Tip into a pestle and mortar and roughly grind.
2. Transfer the cumin to a small bowl and add the garlic and salt to the pestle and mortar. Grind to a paste, before adding the crushed cumin seeds, coriander and lemon juice.
3. Rub the marinade into the meat and drizzle with the olive oil. Place in a dish and leave covered in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
4. When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Place the marinated lamb in a baking dish with 100ml water.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, turn the oven up to 200C/gas 6 and continue cooking for a further 20 minutes. Remove the lamb from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes, covered.
6. To make the salad, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a wide based saucepan and fry the garlic until just beginning to brown. Add the water and stock powder and bring to the boil.
7. Simmer gently for 2 minutes, add the beans and continue to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
8. When about half the liquid has evaporated, add the chopped tomatoes and remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the chopped herbs, lemon juice, remaining olive oil and seasoning.
9. To serve, carve the meat into thick slices and serve with the warm bean, tomato and herb salad, spooning over any lamb juices and remaining marinade.
Rate This Recipe