- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: hard
- 1 butternut squash, halved lengthways, seeds removed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 sprig thyme
- 3 large floury potatoes, such as King Edwards or Maris Piperunpeeled
- sea salt, for baking
- 90 g '00' flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 egg yolk
- finely grated parmesan
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- wild rocket, to serve
For the mushrooms:
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 200 g wild mushrooms, such as oyster, shiitake, chanterelles and girolles
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Place the garlic and thyme sprigs on the cut surface of one of the butternut squash halves and wrap in foil. (Use the other half in another dish.)
3. Spread a layer of Malden sea salt flakes over the base of a shallow roasting pan. Place the squash parcel and the potatoes on top. Bake for 1-1 1/2 hours or until the potato and squash feel tender when pierced with a skewer.
4. To make the gnocchi mix, scoop out the butternut squash and potato flesh. Discard the thyme sprigs. Dry out the butternut squash flesh in a non-stick frying pan set over medium heat. Pass the potato through a ricer or sieve. You will need 100g dry butternut squash and 300g potato flesh.
5. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil.
6. Mix the squash and potato together in a large bowl. Stir in the flour, egg yolk, Parmesan and salt to taste, and mix to a firm dough.
7. Flour the work surface and roll out the dough to a sausage, about the thickness of your thumb. Cut into small pieces 2-3cm long, placing them on a lightly floured tray as you work.
8. Drop the gnocchi into the boiling water. As soon as they float to the top, remove them with a perforated spoon. Refresh in a bowl of iced water.
9. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the gnocchi, in batches if necessary, and fry until golden. Remove with a perforated spoon and drain on paper towel.
10. Next, cook the mushrooms. Heat the butter in another frying pan over medium-high heat. When it is foaming, and add the mushrooms, shallots and garlic. Fry for 3-4 minutes until the mushrooms give up their liquid. Add the parsley and fry for another minute.
11. Serve the mushrooms with the gnocchi and some wild rocket.
Rate This Recipe