- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large butternut squash, chopped
- 500 g carrots, chopped
- 500 ml chicken stock
- salt and black pepper
For the croutons
- 3 tbsp olive oil, for frying
- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tbsp single cream, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
Look out for reduced-salt varieties of stock or make your own, instead of using cubes or granules. For more information on healthy eating see eatwell.gov.uk.
1. For the soup: heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and fry the onion for about 10 minutes until softened and translucent.
2. Stir in the squash and carrots and fry for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Pour in the stock, bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
4. Use a handheld blender to blend the soup until smooth then season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.
5. For the croutons: heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the bread cubes and garlic and fry for about 5 minutes or until the bread is crisp and golden. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
6. Serve the soup in warm bowls, drizzle with a swirl of cream and serve the croutons alongside.
Rate This Recipe