- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the relish
- 12 g butter
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 plums, pitted and sliced
- 25 g sultanas or raisins
- 25 g light or dark muscovado sugar
- 1/2 tsp finely grated ginger or a pinch of ground ginger
For the rarebits
- 150 g caerphilly cheese, crumbled or grated
- 12 g butter, softened
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard or a pinch of dry mustard
- few drops Worcestershire sauce
- 4 thick slices slices rosemary foccacia or crusty white bread
Tips and Suggestions
use a pinch of ground mixed spice instead of the ginger, if you prefer. Lancashire, Wensleydale and Cheshire cheeses all make great substitutes for the Caerphilly.
1. For the relish: melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the onion. Cook gently until softened and well-browned, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the plums and sultanas or raisins, sugar and ginger and 150ml hot water. Simmer until the plums are very soft and pulpy, and most of the liquid has evaporated. Taste and season with a little salt and black pepper.
3. For the rarebits: work the cheese and butter together, mixing in the mustard and Worcestershire sauce to make a stiff paste.
4. Toast one side of the foccacia or crusty bread, then spread the untoasted side with the cheese mixture. Grill until melted and bubbling.
5. Serve, topped with the warm plum relish.
Rate This Recipe