- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the salad
- 4 streaky bacon, cut into lardons
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 thick slices white bread, cubed
- 2 cos lettuce
For the dressing
- 4 cloves garlic
- 150 ml white wine
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tinned anchovies
- 150 g parmesan, grated
- 300 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- salt and black pepper
1. In a separate pan, fry the bacon pieces until crisp, and leave on one side.
2. Heat a knob of butter in a small frying pan and fry the cubed bread until golden brown; set aside.
3. Separate the leaves from the lettuce and rip into chunky pieces.
4. In a medium saucepan, bring the garlic and wine to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the cloves have softened. Leave to cool.
5. Combine the wine and garlic with the egg yolks, anchovy and cheese in a mixing bowl. Blend with a stick blender - you could also process the mixture in a liquidiser. Drizzle in the oil in a thin steady stream, taking care not to add it too quickly, otherwise it could split and curdle. Stir in the mustard and add seasoning to taste.
6. Add the crisp-fried bacon, croutons and lettuce to the dressing and toss to combine. Serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe