- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp mix of ground cumin, ground coriander, dried chilli flakes and ground turmeric (proportions to taste)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 skinless chicken breast
- vegetable oil, for deep fat frying
- 2 thick slices of ciabatta, crusts removed, cut into large cubes
- handfuls freshly grated parmesan, plus parmesan shavings to serve
- 2 handfuls Italian salad leaves, (such as radicchio, treviso or casa franca)
- 6 wild garlic, leaves
- 4 whole salted anchovies, rinsed, bones removed, chopped
- 2-3 caper berries, chopped in half
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 100-130 ml vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, juice only
- dashes of olive oil
- dashes of white wine vinegar
1. Mix together the spice mix and olive oil in a small bowl to make a paste. Brush this paste over the chicken breast, ensuring all the chicken is covered.
2. Heat a griddle pan and griddle the chicken breast for about 8-10 minutes, or until cooked all the way through - you will know the chicken is cooked as the juices should run clear when the meat is pierced with a skewer in the thickest part.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep heavy-based saucepan until a breadcrumb sizzles and browns when dropped in it. (Hot oil can be dangerous do not leave unattended.) Deep fry the ciabatta cubes in the hot oil. Once they are golden-brown, remove them using a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle the grated parmesan over while they are still warm.
4. Mix the salad leaves and the wild garlic leaves in a salad bowl, and add the parmesan croutons. Scatter over the anchovies.
5. For the dressing: whisk together the Dijon mustard and the egg yolk in a bowl. Add a small amount of the oil and whisk until it's well blended in. Add a little more oil and whisk again. Continue adding the oil, whisking thoroughly between each addition, until the sauce emulsifies and thickens after a few minutes. Stop adding the oil when the mixture has reached the consistency of mayonnaise.
6. Stir in the lemon juice and a dash of water, olive oil and vinegar. Mix and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. The mixture should be the consistency of a thick dressing.
7. Slice the chicken and add it to the bowl with the salad leaves. Scatter over the caper berries. Give the dressing another quick stir and then pour it over the salad and toss to combine.
8. Serve the salad topped with shavings of parmesan.
Rate This Recipe