- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 15 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 200 g cooking apples, such as bramley, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 400 g pork sausage meat
- 200 g unsmoked streaky bacon, diced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, sage
- 300 g puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Melt a knob of butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the apples and honey and leave for 10 minutes to caramelise, tossing frequently.
2. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3. Butter a casserole dish approximately 600ml in volume.
3. Put one-third of the sausage meat along the base of the dish, and scatter over one-third of the bacon. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with a tablespoon of herbs, and then cover with a layer of caramelised apples. Repeat the layers until the ingredients are all used.
4. Roll out the pastry to fit the top of your casserole dish. Brush around the edge of the dish with beaten egg and cover with the pastry. Trim away the excess. Prick the top with a fork and then brush all over with beaten egg to give a lovely golden colour.
5. Bake for 55-60 minutes until the pastry is puffed up and golden brown. Serve warm.
Rate This Recipe