- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 15 minutes plus 2-3 hours setting time
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus soaking chipotle chilli
- Effort: medium
- 1 aubergine
- cajun seasoning
- 6 tbsp breadcrumbs
- olive oil, for frying and brushing
- 10 fingers of okra
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 3-4 sweet potatoes, cut into 3mm thick slices
- groundnut oil, for deep-frying
- plain flour
- 1 small egg
For the pineapple and avocado salsa:
- ï¿½ avocados, diced
- 1 slices pineapples, diced
- ï¿½ fresh red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- juice of ï¿½ limes
For the pepper and chipotle tapenade:
- 2 peppers, (1 red, 1 yellow), roasted, peeled and diced
- 1 spring onion
- 1 chipotle chilli, soaked and mashed
- sprig of coriander
- juice of ï¿½ limes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Tips and Suggestions
Chipotle chillies are dried smoked jalapeño chillies and can be found in large supermarkets or specialist spice shops. Before use, soak them according to the packet instructions. They are also available canned in a red sauce.
1. First make the pineapple and avocado salsa. Put all the ingredients in a small bowl and toss together.
2. Next make the tapenade. Put all the ingredients in a small bowl and toss together.
3. Slice the aubergine in half lengthways. Peel one half, hollow out the centre and set aside. (Use the other half in another dish.)
4. Combine the breadcrumbs with 1 tablespoon of the Cajun spice mix and set aside.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the okra and fry for about 5 minutes until tender. Add a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of Cajun spice. Set aside and keep warm.
6. Preheat a ridged stovetop grill until hot. Brush the sweet potato slices with olive oil. Place on the griddle and grill for about 2 minutes, turning once. Set aside and keep warm.
7. Dip the aubergine in the flour, then in the egg and finally the breadcrumb mix. Heat enough groundnut oil for deep-frying until very hot but not smoking. Add the aubergine and deep-fry for 3-4 minutes until golden. Remove with tongs and drain on crumpled paper towel.
8. To serve, place the aubergine on a warm serving plate. Pile the okra in the cavity and arrange the sweet potato slices around the edge. Spoon the salsa and tapenade around the potato.
Rate This Recipe