- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 100 g butter
- 8-10 shallots, or baby onions, sliced
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp port
- 200 g jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cut into medium pieces
- 150 g gorgonzola cheese
- 2 escalopes calves' liver
- 1 large bunches watercress
- 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs thyme
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper
1. Heat the butter in a frying pan and fry the shallots until they starte to brown. Stir in the sugar and continue cooking to caramelise them, then add the balsamic vinegar and port and reduce down until syrupy. Set aside.
2. Heat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
3. Place the artichokes on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes until tender and golden.
4. Remove from the oven and crumble the Gorgonzola cheese over the artichokes, then return to the oven and cook until melted.
5. To cook the liver, heat a frying pan until very hot, then sear the seasoned liver for about 4 minutes on each side. When cooked, add a knob of butter and the caramelised onions.
6. Serve the liver with a pile of artichokes and some dressed watercress.
Rate This Recipe