- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the polenta
- 200 ml water
- 100 g quick cook polenta
- 50 g parmesan, grated
For the curly kale
- 1 handfuls curly kale, stripped
- olive oil or butter, for frying
For the liver
- 1 slices calves' liver
- seasoned flour, for dusting
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 2 banana shallots, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp reduced chicken or veal stock
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1. For the polenta: bring the stock to the boil and pour in the polenta. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parmesan. Cook over a low heat, stirring all the time, until thickened.
2. Pour the polenta onto a tray and spread out evenly to a thickness of about 1.5cm. Leave on one side to set.
3. Heat a griddle pan. Trim the edges of the polenta, then chargrill on both sides. Keep warm in a low oven while you cook the liver.
4. For the curly kale: gently fry the curly kale until softened and wilted a little.
5. For the liver: dust the liver in seasoned flour. Heat a frying pan and add most of the butter. When gently foaming, add the liver and fry until lightly browned on the first side. Turn over and cook for another minute. Remove to a warm plate.
6. Return the pan to the heat and add the shallots and garlic. Once they start to sizzle, spoon in the balsamic vinegar and reduce a little. Add the stock and swirl in the remaining butter. Add the parsley at the very end.
7. Put the polenta on a plate and sit the liver on top. Spoon over the sauce and serve with the curly kale.
Rate This Recipe