- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 20 g galangal, peeled and sliced
- pinch of turmeric, or 1cm fresh turmericsliced
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 120 g chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp lime sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 125 g small shallots, (ideally Thai) sliced
- 300 g fresh white rice noodles
1. In a food processor or pestle and mortar blend or grind the galangal and turmeric into a paste.
2. Place the galangal paste in a saucepan with the coconut milk and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add the sliced chicken and cook for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, mix the shrimp paste and palm sugar in the fish sauce and lime juice until disolved.
5. Add the shrimp paste mixture to the simmering coconut milk, stir well and remove from direct heat.
6. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a small frying pan. Add the sliced shallots and fry until golden-brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
7. Heat the remaining oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the noodles and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
8. Divide the noodles among 4 serving bowls. Ladle over the coconut chicken, sprinkle with the fried shallots and coriander leaves. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe